Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Well, hello hello!

I cannot believe I have not come to post since December! Where has the time gone? Well, I'll tell you. I spread my time between school, working on Saturdays, family life and homework. Now I am going through the application processes involved in becoming a teacher. Federations, Associations and School Boards. I am beginning to drown in all the paper work.

So off I go to my local Staples to buy an affordable and attractive filing cabinet. No such luck.

Here is my story:

The price was too high for a half-decent filing cabinet. So the starving (o.k. not so starving, just broke) student in me bought cardboard filing boxes. $24 will get you 5 corrugated boxes. I will be able to file papers til' the cows come home. After I paid, I pick up my package to leave and I notice Staples is selling boxes of the exact same dimensions for $1.48 each. I pause for a moment and say to myself, actually I say it out loud, "Wow, that's cheap." I look at the brightly coloured blue boxes and see they are the boxes that once contained 5000 sheets of multi-use print & copy paper. I go back to the cashier to return my purchase and buy the blue boxes instead. All I can think about is the money I'm saving ($16.60 that's enough to buy me at least 3 lunches.)

As I am on the drive home pleased with my purchase I have come to the realization I have just purchased Staples recycled garbage. Garbage. I bought someone's garbage.

To make myself feel better, I made myself a latte when I got home and tried to convince myself that I am helping the environment. I'm recycling. You know, the 3 R's. Reduce, reuse, recycle. I should feel better, right?

Man, I'm cheap. What is happening to me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to say it's been too long since your last post but you've fixed that. Good to have one in the new year. Nothing wrong with what you did Sharon. Smart actually, it's not a piece of furniture or something on display so who cares what it looks like. It serves it's purpose and you saved some cash. Nice work.

grace said...

"one man's garbage is another man's treasure" right?
You're not cheap, times are tough these days, and especially going to school you have to watch all your pennies.
I liked your story, I had to chuckle out load. :)